Fresno Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Therapy
When you experience an event that is scary, dangerous, unexpected, or traumatic you could develop post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD. While everyone experiences a wide range of emotions and reactions to a traumatic event not everyone experiences PTSD. Post-traumatic stress disorder develops when someone continues to experience a these feelings when the traumatic event is over. The symptoms of PTSD can develop immediately following the event or months even years afterward.
Symptoms of PTSD can include but are not limited to:
- Intrusive dreams
- Flashbacks (reliving the trauma over and over)
- Feeling on edge and tense
- Easily startled
- Distorted feelings of guilt or blame
- Loss of interest in enjoyable activities
- Sleep disturbances
- Negative thoughts of self or of the world
- Avoiding events or places that are reminders of the trauma
- Intense feelings of fear
If you believe that you are suffering from the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder I can help. I utilize techniques from cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) geared towards PTSD. These techniques will decrease the symptoms you are experiencing and you will begin process your traumatic event.