Depression: Addressing Myths and Finding Healing Solutions
Oct 23, 2019
You may have heard of depression before, but many myths abound about what depression is and how it can be treated. Did you know that depression:
- Is one of the most common reasons why people seek counseling?
- Presents in many different ways, with some of the common signs including anger, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, prolonged feelings of hopelessness and sadness, and even physical pains?
- Can be caused by factors such as a person's environment and genetics?
- Comes in various forms? You may have heard of some types of depression such as seasonal effective disorder - depression related to changes in the seasons - or postpartum depression - a form of depression experienced by mothers after childbirth.
- Has symptoms that can be treated with the support of a therapist?
Regardless of what you may be experiencing, there are resources and tools available to assist you in addressing depression's underlying causes and symptoms. Located in the Fresno area, Jodi Mitchell is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who utilizes cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), empathy, and other solutions-focused approaches to help you find the best way to process emotions and address the symptoms that you may be experiencing as a result of your depression.
Compared to some other forms of therapy, CBT leverages a solutions-based approach to managing depression, with the goal of helping you challenge and change negative thoughts and behaviors. Jodi leverages these techniques in a way that puts you first and helps you prioritize a healthy, balanced life. Though taking the first step towards counseling may feel scary, seeking assistance from a trained and trustworthy mental health professional is a critical step in moving towards a path of healing.
Are you ready to put your mental health first?
Does CBT sound like an approach that may work well for you?
Learn more and set up an appointment by contacting us today.